History & Staff
We have years of experience caring for families, from all walks of life. Each family comes to us because they know we are leaders in our profession, dedicated to excellence in service, and have the highest integrity.
The family of Mr. C.A. Martin, founder of the first bank in Ellwood City began construction on his home in 1893 and it was competed in 1898. It was the first home to have electricity in all of Ellwood City, along with beautiful hardwood throughout the home and even a dumbwaiter system. He lived there until his death in 1932.
It was then purchased from the Estate of C.A. Martin by Fordyce (Fred) and Mary Patton to be used by their son Frederick William Patton, better known as Bill as a funeral home, and it became Patton Memorial Home in the early 1930’s.
Upon Bill’s death, in 1957, the funeral home was sold to Bill’s only employee, Kenneth Clarence Turner. Kenneth Turner had enlisted in the US Marine Corps during World War II, so that he could use the GI Bill to attend Mortuary School and become a Funeral Director. Upon purchase, the funeral home name was changed to Kenneth C. Turner Funeral Home.
Kenneth Turner was a visionary. He did major renovations to the original home and decided to buy the home next door so he would connect the two buildings with his Chapel sitting between the two houses in 1969. Kenneth C. Turner Funeral Home was also the first incorporated funeral home in all of Pennsylvania, with the license number of “1”. By the 1960’s and 1970’s the funeral home grew due to Mr. Turner’s love for his community, his care and concern for those who called upon him and his love of people. By the late 1970’s, 5 funeral directors, and two staff members were employed by Kenneth Turner, due to the success and growth along with care and concern by Mr. Turner. Sadly, in 1992, Kenneth C. Turner was diagnosed with Cancer and passed away in March 1992.
The firm then was passed down, and renamed Turner Funeral Home, in 1992, and was owed and operated by his two sons; Kenneth Turner, Jr and Jack R. Turner, as they carried out their father’s commitment to dignity and taking care of all families who called on them, from 1992-2019.
On September 30, 2019, Turner Funeral Home was purchased by Adam C. Hyde and his wife Angela, and the funeral home remained locally owned and operated, by the Hyde Family. The mission of Turner Funeral Home has and always will be compassionate care, trust, and dignity and Kenneth Clarence Turner’s care, concern and professionalism would be maintained.